Acquired from Kobo:
- The Stand-In, by Lily Chu. Contemporary romance. This is not a genre I buy a lot of, but I got this one because of a positive review on Smart Bitches, and because I liked that a) it features a bi-racial heroine, and b) the heroine’s in a scenario where she’s asked to be a stand-in for a celebrity, and she actually becomes friends with that other woman. It sounds intriguing, and I also find the cover charming, so let’s do this.
- The Last Days of the Dinosaurs, by Riley Black. Non-fiction. Bought this because I saw a tweet from the author going around promoting the release, and because it occurred to me that I’d never really known much in depth about the comet that’s supposed to have taken out the dinosaurs. This book will hopefully solve that problem.
- The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy, by Megan Bannen. Fantasy, another one I’m picking up on the strength of a Smart Bitches review. It sounds charming and delightful.
- The Monsters We Defy, by Leslye Penelope. Fantasy, described on this Smart Bitches review as a magical heist story. Again, sounds delightful!
- This Side of Murder, by Anna Lee Huber. Mystery. Got this one because it was on sale at the time for cheap, and because I like a period-set mystery. This one’s WWI-era.
- Becoming Crone, by Lydia M. Hawke. Urban fantasy. Nabbed this one because it’s got a protagonist who just turned 60, and who’s about to discover she has magical powers. And that she’s a Crone–as in, Maiden, Mother, and. Awesome.
- The Echo Wife, by Sarah Gailey. SF/Thriller/Horror. Nabbed this one finally after hearing quite a bit of buzz about it, and because the concept of a woman discovering her husband’s having an affair with a clone of her is highly intriguing.
Pre-orders from Kobo that showed up:
- A Half-Built Garden, by Ruthanna Emrys
- The Book Eaters, by Sunyi Dean
- Nona the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir
New pre-orders placed with Kobo:
- The Mimicking of Known Successes, by Malka Older. Grabbed this one because basically, “Holmesian SF murder mystery with a sapphic romance” is almost all of my catnip.
60 for the year.