One of the side effects of spazzkat playing all this Skyrim here at the Murk: I’ve totally gotten back onto a Nethack kick.
I had a great game going, and fired up the save file from yesterday’s run tonight. I was in Sokoban and died horribly, like ya do, ’cause, well, Nethack. I proceeded to have the following conversation with kisanthe:
annathepiper: I’m in the middle of Serious Nethack May Be Serious
annathepiper: Level 11 character currently in Sokoban
kisanthe: Ooh! Hope it’s the Bag of Holding Sokoban.
annathepiper: SHIT DEAD
annathepiper: Hallucinating and burdened and surrounded and then a damn incubus started taking my armor off!
annathepiper: Also, it was the amulet of reflection sokoban!
kisanthe: …okay, that’s not funny, but it is funny.
annathepiper: It was, really ;)
annathepiper: I was cheerfully sneaking through the final treasure room killing monsters one at a time and then a damn black light went off
annathepiper: And then suddenly HELLO EVERYBODY AWAKE!
kisanthe: You’d think a *black* light wouldn’t wake everybody up!
annathepiper: So I backed into a corner and started shooting everything in sight, until the incubus showed up!
kisanthe: So, assuming the black light affected the critters it woke up too… you died naked in a big murderous hallucinatory orgy?
annathepiper: Yeah pretty much XD
kisanthe: Best way to go! ;)
And now in my current game, I was hungry, so I whipped out a tin and discovered it contained pickled dwarf. There I am nomming it, and the next monster I see? A dwarf. And all I can think is AWK-WARD!
Those of you on Twitter may have seen the #songprequel trending topic, wherein the idea was to post titles of songs that came before actual songs. Much hilarity ensued!
With a hat tip to technoshaman, spazzkat, solarbird, and fredpdx, here are the Great Big Sea ones we all came up with so far:
- Young Brown’s Mother
- Acting Third Lieutenant Taylor
- The Day Pat Murphy Got Sick
- Nagging Girlfriend
- Showing Up At the Kitchen Party With Mrs. White
Dara and Paul and I also came up with these:
- Alice Cooper’s “Welcome to My Bedtime” and “School is Just Starting”
- Simon and Garfunkel’s “Construction Crew Arriving at Bank of Troubled Water”
- Elvis Presley’s “(You Ain’t Nothin’ But a) OMG PUPPY” and “I’ll Do Anything to Get Into Some Blue Suede Shoes”
- Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the Colonies, I Was”
- The Day the Music Bought a Cheap Ticket on a Small Plane in Bad Weather
- Slightly Darker than Usual Day of the Heart
- Radio Killed the Vaudeville Star
- From O Brother, Where Art Thou?, “Boy of Periodic Sadness”
- Kenny Rogers’ “You Picked a Fine Time for Our First Date, Lucille”
- Duran Duran’s “Peckish Like the Wolf Cub”
- Kiss Him Hello (may be more obvious if you sing “na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, HELLO”)
- And last but definitely not least, from Dr. Horrible, “Misbehaving Pony Solo”
Got more? Drop ’em in the comments!
solarbird gave me a heads up to this: one fan’s tribute to what Star Wars might have been like if it had been an Icelandic saga!
This is geekery I absolutely have to salute. Check it out. :)