who i listen to
I’m almost as voracious a listener of music as I am a reader, and so this bit of my page will be about who all I like to listen to: 30 Odd Foot of Grunts, a-ha, Alexander James Adams, Altan, Carbon Leaf, Elvis Presley, Great Big Sea, Heather Alexander, La Bottine Souriante, Le Vent du Nord, Seanan McGuire, Skinny White Chick, Solas, The Fables, The Irish Descendants, The Paperboys, The Young Dubliners, Tricky Pixie, Vixy & Tony, and a great many others.
I say more about these folks over here!
what i play
The official roster of my horde of musical instruments lives over here!
what i’ve written
Some music I’ve made my very own self.
flutes and flute playing
I had six years of flute playing in school and still passionately miss it. I have periodically continued to play since then — and I was a member of the Seattle Flute Society as well for a while. Most of these links were published in one of the SFS’s newsletters, and I’ve scarfed them for here. The rest I’ve discovered surfing around the web, or via other sources.
- Landell Flutes
- Muramatsu Flutes
- Verne Q. Powell Flutes, Inc.
- Baerenreiters World of Music
- Flute World
- ClassicWeb Flute and Piccolo Page
- The Wooden Flute Home Page
- Romy Benton Bamboo Instruments: I have to add a note here about Romy Benton, a flute maker whose instruments I have been privileged to handle (and several of which I’ve purchased) at his yearly appearances at the Seattle Folklife Festival. I heartily recommend this man’s work for anyone interested in a bamboo flute with a deep, resonant sound.
- Flute Emporium: A store that sells all manner of flute-related merchandise.
- Stellar Flutes: A local producer of Native-American-style flutes.
- Blissful Bamboo Flutes: Aaron Heinig, in Port Angeles, WA, is a maker of high-quality bamboo flutes
for serious players.
and last, but not least…
I hold semi-regular jam sessions at my household, and am currently in the second incarnation of my jamming group. The first incarnation, Three Good Measures, still has a place in my heart and on this web page! Check the link if you want to see some of the MP3s we archived of various ditties.