Skyrim screenshot galleries finally fixed, part 1

It’s taken me quite a bit of work, but I have finally finished converting all of my various screenshot galleries to fix the problem that had broken them.

I’m using a WordPress plugin called FooGallery to manage galleries of my images on my site, and up until recently it’s been working great. But a recent release of the plugin code appears to have broken the type of gallery I’d been using up until now for my Skyrim posts.

Specifically, I’d been tagging all my various images for both Merawen’s and Delga’s runs with tags that matched which play session they were from. And I made galleries that dynamically looked for those tags and showed all the images that matched them.

However, there’s a bug somewhere in the FooGallery plugin code that’s causing galleries of this type to lose track of what tag they’re supposed to be using. And to show all the images in the WordPress media library instead. This is not optimal, given that I have over 1,000 images in my site library!

I’ve been in extensive conversation with the FooGallery devs about this. (Y’all may recall that software QA is in fact what I do for a living, and since my site lives on my own home server, I’m in a position to dig into the guts of what’s wrong. But I didn’t want to try it without talking to the plugin devs!) And at this point from what they’re telling me, they do know about this issue and have in theory fixed it, but a version of the code with a fix has not yet made it to me.

So in the meantime, to un-break my site, I have slogged through all of Merawen’s screenshot galleries and Delga’s current ones, converting them all over to a different gallery type that reads right out of folders on my server instead. This type of gallery has continued to be stable. Hopefully, moving forward, this will continue to be the case! I like this plugin and I don’t want to have to bail off of it.

For those of you who’ve been following my Skyrim posts, what this means for you is that I’m finally able to start adding screenshots to each post again.

I’ve had several Delga sessions since this problem started, so I’ve also had to go back and update the posts that were missing screenshots. That work isn’t done yet, but it’s in progress.

Here are the first five of the Delga sessions that now include screenshots:

I’ll be posting the remaining ones tomorrow!